Sunday 11 September 2016

Day 2 Born free

What's my why?  It’s a deep question – why are we on this earth, why do we do what we do? For the past 20 years, my main purpose has been to raise my children and to give them the lifestyle that they deserve and both are now flying the nest – Jack is starting his 3rd year at uni and Katie starts medical school this month.  So I have “empty nest syndrome”.  I am still a mother but I am not needed on a daily basis so I am free to follow my own path.

So what is my why now?  It is still the same, I guess, as it has always been.  To be independent, to explore the world and have new experiences whether they be travelling or at home and learning new things.  And to have time to breathe.

To learn about art, to learn to speak French, to cook all the 100s of recipes in the many cookery books I have, to travel to all the places I haven’t seen.  But also to continue to give back. 

I started mentoring as a volunteer with Princes trust nearly three years ago and have really enjoyed the experience of helping people.  I have a wealth of business experience – both success and failure. I know heaps about the food and retail industry and how to make successful food products that make money and sell well – and also what doesn’t work!

So my “why” is to help people in the food industry have a business mentor who can solve some of their challenges and ensure that they don’t have quite such a bunch of stress that I have experienced.  And in doing this, I want to free up some time for me and my family to do some of the things I want to do – to enable my freedom.

My favourite songs have often “freedom” in the lyrics Matt Monro – Born free is the best.  It is such a beautiful song, both the lyrics and his amazing voice.

Born free, as free as the wind blows
As free as the grass grows
Born free to follow your heart

Live free and beauty surrounds you
The world still astounds you
Each time you look at a star

Stay free, where no walls divide you
You're free as a roaring tide
So there's no need to hide

Born free and life is worth living
But only worth living
'Cos you're born free



This blog post is in response to Natalie’s 10 Day Freedom Plan Blog Challenge Day 2 http://suitcaseentrepreneur.com/10DBC-Day-2]

No comments:

Post a Comment